Table of Contents
IST 9/10 - Professional Development Videos - watch the following videos for great teaching tips and ideas:
- Unit D - The Law of Reflection for Flat Mirrors - join senior author Lionel Sandner as he introduces and demonstrates the law of reflection.
- Unit D - The Law of Reflection for Curved Mirrors - join senior author Lionel Sandner as he discusses and demonstrates the law of reflection for curved mirrors.
- Unit D - The Electromagnetic Spectrum - join senior author Lionel Sandner as he shares interesting demonstrations to reveal the invisible parts of the electromagnetic spectrum.
- Unit D - Refraction - join ScienceSource.ca webmaster Josef Martha as he shares several demonstration techniques for refraction.
- Unit D - Snell's Law - join ScienceSource.ca webmaster Josef Martha as he discusses and demonstrates the mathematics of Snell's Law.
- Unit D - Human Vision - join ScienceSource.ca webmaster Josef Martha as he discusses misconceptions about human vision, demonstrates an eye dissection, and shows how prescription lenses are used to correct common vision problems.
IST 9/10 - SMART Notebook Section Supplements
For your convenience, we are please to provide SMART Notebook files that review the key concepts for each section of the Investigating Science textbooks (32 files for Grade 9, 31 files for Grade 10). Each SMART Notebook file includes the exploration of a key concept with an interactive activity. Important note - you will require SMART Notebook software to use this file. For more information on SMART Notebook software, visit the site frequently asked questions.
Click here to access the SMART Notebook files.
We are pleased to provide the following Teacher Resource (TR) files. We recommend downloading the Adobe Acrobat files, as they are much smaller in size and will download to your computer faster. Please note that the speed of your download will depend on the nature of your connection to the Internet. Microsoft Word documents are archived (.zip format), so you will require a decompression utility to access the files once they have been downloaded to your computer.
Please note that the TRM and BLM files are protected by Canadian Copyright Law and are meant for teacher classroom use only. DO NOT post these files to any other Internet server or location.
Teacher Electronic Student Book Files
The following Electronic Student Book Files for teachers are provided in Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) format. Simply choose the file you would like to download from the pull-down menu. Please note that some of the files are large and may take some time before they download to your computer. The speed of your download will depend on the nature of your connection to the Internet.
Please note that the Electronic Student Book files are protected by Canadian Copyright Law. DO NOT post these files to any other Internet server or location.
IST 9/10 - Unit Task Notes
These notes correspond with the Additional Unit Tasks that can be accessed with ScienceSource PLUS access.
We recommend downloading the Adobe Acrobat files, as they are much smaller in size and will download to your computer faster. Please note that the speed of your download will depend on the nature of your connection to the Internet. Microsoft Word documents are archived (.zip format), so you will require a decompression utility to access the files once they have been downloaded to your computer.
IST 9/10 - Dry Lab Teacher Note Videos
These notes correspond with the Dry Labs that can be accessed with ScienceSource PLUS access.
All of the videos for a grade are displayed on one page. Simply press the play button on the video you'd like to watch and it will stream for you. You will have access to the videos for the grade(s) the you have ScinceSource PLUS access to.
Interactive Whiteboard Resources
Be sure to use the words "Smart Lesson" in the ScienceSource page search field (at the top of every page). It will lead you to our custom digital SMART Lessons. Also try the following links for more interactive whiteboard resources:
IST 9/10 - Catholic Teachers Guides with Correlations to Grad Expectations:
IST 9/10 - OSSLT Preparation
Ontario Secondary School Literacy Test - the following links provide good sources of preparatory materials for the OSSLT:
Teacher Research Links
Environmental Education and Sustainability - the following links provide excellent current information and classroom resources on environmental and sustainability issues:
- Ontario Eco Schools Program - Ontario EcoSchools is an environmental education program that addresses both how the schools are run and what students learn. It has been designed collaboratively by school boards for school boards to incorporate environmental education as well as environmentally responsible action into the school setting.
- Evergreen's Resources - All sorts of help for greening projects.
- Green Street - provides teachers with environmental education programs linked to curriculum.
- Ecokids - interactive website with activities for students.
- The Cloud Institute on Sustainability Education - the Cloud Institute works with partners to develop and deliver proven, innovative educational products and programsthat focus participants’ and students’ thinking, research, and creativity on the challenges of the economy, the environment, and communities.
- Centre for Ecoliteracy - the Centre provides tools, ideas, and support for combining hands-on experience in the natural world with curricular innovation in K12 education.
- Canadian Network for Environmental Education and Communication - EECOM provides a national vehicle for existing Environmental Learning stakeholders from various sectors to share ideas, programs, research, resources, events and services and enhance their professional skills.
- Resources for Rethinking - this website provides teachers access to resources that support education for sustainable development (ESD). ESD integrates the ecological, social and economic spheres through learning that is active, relevant and interdisciplinary.
- Green Learning - Pembina Institute. Help your students participate in their own learning while gaining a more holistic and hopeful understanding of complex energy and environmental issues.
- Population Connection - this is a grassroots organization that provides resources about human population trends and their impacts on natural resources, environmental quality and human well-being.
- The Story of Stuff - a 20-minute, fast-paced, fact-filled look at the underside of our production and consumption patterns. The Story of Stuff exposes the connections between a huge number of environmental and social issues, and calls us together to create a more sustainable and just world.
- Ontario Forestry Association - OFA is dedicated to raising awareness and understanding of all aspects of Ontario's forests, and to develop commitment.
- Calendar of Events - A complete up-to-date list of conferences courtesy of the Ontario College of Teachers.