I really do have Flash installed.
What follows is a plain HTML version of the puzzle.
1.2 The Cell Cycle and Mitosis
© Pearson Education
1. Some _____, called bacteriostatic drugs, temporarily stop bacteria from growing by interfering with mitosis.
4. During much of the _____ _____, the cell grows and prepares for cell division.
6. A cell dies as a normal part of the functioning of healthy multicellular organisms. This regulated, or controlled, cell death is known as _____.
7. During _____, sister chromatids separate into individual chromosomes and move to opposite poles.
9. In animal cells, a pair of organelles called _____ moves to each end of the cell during prophase, forming the poles of the mitotic spindle.
10. This is an electron micrograph of _____ showing the different layers of cells. You lose about 30 000 to 40 000 of these cells every minute.
11. During the first phase of mitosis, called _____, the chromatin (DNA and proteins) that makes up the chromosomes condenses.
14. A cell is in _____ when it is preparing for cell division.
15. A cell that divides uncontrollably is called a _____ cell.
16. During this phase, the cell makes (synthesizes) an entire copy of the DNA of the cell.
17. A _____ is a long piece of coiled DNA and proteins.
18. Cancer cells can seem to be “immortal” because they do not stop _____.
19. The _____ _____ is completed during metaphase and is made of tiny tubes that extend from each pole to the middle of the cell.
2. The process of splitting the cytoplasm is known as _____ and it occurs during telophase.
3. The Sun is necessary for all life on Earth, but it is also the source of _____ (UV) radiation, which is harmful to skin cells.
5. During the last phase of mitosis, known as _____, the cell divides the cytoplasm into two portions.
8. During _____, the chromosomes line up at the centre of the cell.
9. Chromatids are attached to the spindle at their _____.
12. In early prophase, _____ condenses to form chromosomes.
13. Cell division involves packaging the genetic information in the nucleus into two equal portions; this process is called _____.